Skip to main content

this broadway viaduct bridge project is quite embarassing

Just months after Nashville adopted a vision zero plan, TDOT and NDOT are choosing to replace the Broadway Viaduct bridge with a seven-lane superhighway instead of providing safe convenient multimodal connections on this already high-utilized route. While this plan does call for some “slightly less than 10’ sidewalks”, the design should also incorporate dedicated and concrete protected bike lanes for use by cyclists and scooters, and other design elements to ensure safety for all road users.

As you can see on Page 33 of the Nashville State of Downtown Mobility Report, this stretch of roadway is the most traveled by scooters every day:

(View the full report here: https://www.nashville.gov/sites/default/files/2022-11/Nashville_State_of_Downtown_Mobility_Report_FINAL_October2022.pdf?ct=1667405651).

While the sidewalks will make a slight improvement for pedestrians, the vast majority of the 300 daily scooter trips will likely opt to ride on the sidewalk instead of on the 7-lane roadway designed to maximize car speed, as they often do on other downtown streets without bike lanes. And I don’t blame them. Would you feel safe riding a scooter in the middle of a 7-lane highway?

If we are to accomplish our goal of becoming a Vision Zero city, we can’t wait another 50 years for this bridge to need replacing again to then decide to make it safe. We must act intentionally to incrementally improve the safety of our street network every time we build, repair, or replace a street.
We can’t wait another 50 years for this bridge to need replacing again to then decide to make it safe.
I hope Tuesday’s meeting is a productive one for TDOT, NDOT, and the council and look forward to seeing a revised design soon.

If we can’t design a safe street for all road users in the heart of downtown, how can we ever hope to have a safe walkable Murfreesboro Pike corridor or safe walkable community out in Antioch?

~~

This is the text of an email I sent to all metro council members two week ago. I sent a similar email to Diana Alarcon at NDOT, Shane Hester at TDOT, and TJ Ducklo & Ben Eagles with the Mayor's office. Multiple council members, the NDOT director, and a representative of TDOT responded to my email. No one from the mayor's office ever responded.

~~

Disclaimer: While I am an employee of Metro Nashville Public Schools, and therefore Metro Nashville Government, the views expressed on this blog are my own and do not necessarily reflect the views of my employer or the city.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

we've always done it this way

One of the biggest challenges I encounter in MNPS is this idea that "we've always done it this way!" It's an attitude that seems to pervade many of the daily decisions in the district, and sometimes is (accidentally) explicitly stated. I wasn't raised in Metro Schools, so I know that while MNPS may have always done it this way, other districts haven't. At Tuesday's MNPS Board governance committee, board member Emily Masters said something that gave me a little bit of hope that students' voices are being heard and changes can be made, even in a district like MNPS. In the clip below, Masters proposed a change to district policy around dress code to state that the dress code should be gender neutral and not contain gender-specific language, and that "Dress code enforcement shall be based solely on the guidelines, and shall not be based upon biases, gender norms, or gender assumptions." At the 30:28 minute mark, after adopting the changes, Ms. Ma...

i don't want to buy a new titans stadium

I'm planning to share a similar version of this during Metro Council's pre-budget public comment period tonight, if I'm able to get off the waitlist. I'm a middle school math teacher and the son of an accounting professor and an auditor, so budget season is actually a really fun time for me. I spend hours each month keeping track of where my money is coming from and going, and I love digging into data and seeing how the numbers for my city add up — or don't. As we enter this year's budget season, one idea that's been popping around in the news is that the Titans need a new stadium. But as a resident of Nashville and recent property owner in Nashville, I don't want to buy the Titans a new stadium. I think they can buy their own stadium. Before digging into the financial implications of this, I do need to take a moment and say that the Titans really don't need a new stadium. The Titans had one of the best seasons I can remember this year, so the stadiu...